You can use almost anything for lacing huaraches.
In my testing, though, I found some issues with hemp and leather that I didn’t like:
- Both leather and hemp tended to stretch, especially when moist
- Both leather and hemp tighten and stiffen when they dry
- Both leather and hemp wear out faster than our polyester laces
- Leather is much more expensive
- Most leather laces are rectangular, and the edges can dig into your skin
- Leather, isn’t vegan (for those who care about that)
- Leather and hemp don’t give you as many fun color choices
The 100% polyester cord we use is strong, light, and doesn’t stretch or tighten, especially when wet.
Also, I prefer the “slip-on” method of tying which works best with a round lace, rather than a flat one (like leather).
Needless to say, you can replace the lace we send you with whatever you like.